"...we are what we pretend to be..."

-Kurt Vonnegut

Salutations.

My photo
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
My name is Wendy. I am a third generation A.B.C.D- American Born Chinese Degenrate. I love dancing like Hugh Grant. I have three goldfishes, a twenty two metre lap pool, bad hair in the morning and even worse hair by the afternoon. I admire Kevin Rudd's eyebrows and deplore Joseph McCarthy's attempt of a "Red America." I believe in protest, Harry Potter and his quest against The Dark Lord and my love for newborn puppies. But most of all, prenuptial agreement. I don't believe in VEGANISM... or cheesy "Impact" t-shirts with cheesy "Impact" slogans. Or that there should be a full stop at the end of a sentence. TALK TO ME. I won't disappoint.

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Perth's Glass Act

There has been a lot of talk about recent glassings in Perth lately, with dozens of people finding the repercussions on their faces. Its not entirely surprising. Having never been in a situation where I witnessed a glassing occur personally, I can see why there has been a proposal for a NO ALCOHOL SERVED IN GLASS law. Just walking around a bar in Subi, a girl like me is not so much concerned about her blood-clot-inducing stilettos, but the sea of glass shards scattered all throughout the bar. I guess I’ll give that being Australia, yes we are a democratic country therefore we are entitled to freedom of speech (and apparently heated verbal exchanges,) and basically are culture is, well in lamest terms, to drink. We are not Canada or Sweden but I personally gave more credit to us that we are not Atlanta, Georgia!

In most opinion polls, most have suggested serving alcoholic beverages in plastic cups. In my opinion, to ban serving beverages in glass cups in all pubs are pointless. It would be ignorant to think that a bloke is whacking another bloke with a Manhattan. Out of the 67 attacks this year, 70% has been by the use of beer stubbies. I’m sure the producers of beers don’t market their product to be utilised as weapons. I suppose most can argue that beer manufacturers can employ different materials (e.g. plastic.) But for those connoisseurs that don’t drink to get drunk know, all alcohol is better served in glass to enhance and preserve the flavour of the beer. I doubt that they will be changing their packaging to demote alcohol related violence.

If you look at the stats in the CBD area, you’ll find that Northbridge is the capital glassing suburb when compared to the likes of West Perth/Subiaco end. So to be frank, it’s not an entirely unanticipated stat, looking at the demographics that go there: young hormonal kids, the homeless and the pubs that invite a “PARTICULAR DRINK TO BE DRUNK” crowd.
Sure, we can do another graphic television commercial campaign to ward off the idea of glassing and its consequences but in my opinion, this trend won’t and can never be stopped entirely because:

1) You can take the glass away from the idiot but you can’t take the idiot out of the idiot. There are ALWAYS going to be idiot machos roaming the streets

2) …No wait, that’s the ONLY REASON.

1 comment:

  1. You can take the glass from the idiot but you can't take the idiot out of the idiot.

    Definitely has the ring of a PR campaign slogan...

    ReplyDelete