"...we are what we pretend to be..."

-Kurt Vonnegut

Salutations.

My photo
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
My name is Wendy. I am a third generation A.B.C.D- American Born Chinese Degenrate. I love dancing like Hugh Grant. I have three goldfishes, a twenty two metre lap pool, bad hair in the morning and even worse hair by the afternoon. I admire Kevin Rudd's eyebrows and deplore Joseph McCarthy's attempt of a "Red America." I believe in protest, Harry Potter and his quest against The Dark Lord and my love for newborn puppies. But most of all, prenuptial agreement. I don't believe in VEGANISM... or cheesy "Impact" t-shirts with cheesy "Impact" slogans. Or that there should be a full stop at the end of a sentence. TALK TO ME. I won't disappoint.

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Happy, New AND Improved Year.

My name is Wendy, I made it through Certificate IV in Public relations and I’m still here. ‘nough said.

My expectations of the course was clear from the beginning, it is not going to be easy. Cert IV was dipping my toes in the water, now understanding the depths, perils that is to be of the Diploma course, I know that a sloppy belly flop in isn’t going to win me anything. I’m going for a perfect, five star dive and giving everything I’ve got.

Now studying at a supervisory level, what I hope to get from this course is to really push my creative outlets, develop a true sense of independence in decision making and most importantly, growing into a leader that possesses a matured sense of humility and ethical values.

Though sore from such a small group compared to last year, I think that our diminutive but dynamic team will be fantastic. I think that after working so closely last year, we are all very familiar with one another’s strengths and talents and acknowledge that we all have so much to bring to the table.

There are so many avenues in the PR world that I want to explore. I am hoping that by the end of the course I will be able to visualise myself in an industry I would like to see myself working in, if not, working in it already.
Above all, I want a University degree. My goal is to attend the University of Western Australia after completing my diploma and major in Communications and Marketing and maybe even minor in Psychology.

In terms of the age old question of “what I what I want to do when I grow up,” first and foremost, I would love to be able to become a writer or editor for Frankie Magazine or any other publication. I am in love with the written word and the thought of being paid to write my thoughts and opinions would be amazing.

I LOVE MUSIC, I’m not sure if I’ve ever emphasized my self enough, I LOVE MUSIC. To pursue a career in music is a dream of mine. I know that people glamorise the media and music world as a constant, giant party, but I’m not there for the thrills. I understand that it isn’t a nine to five job. I think your field of work becomes your life and a life would be no life at all if there was no passion to what you do.

It truly fascinates me just how much the power of communication has really taken the hold on the world today. Just like a game of Chinese whispers, communication can be easily misconstrued and when it happens in the real world, multimillion dollar corporations can fall and even powerful leaders can fall at the whims of an inept Tweet.

Public Relations is, at its core, the art of communication and communication is the foundation of operating in any work place, regardless of any industry. So why do I want to work in PR? Because I think that in a way, it is the most humbling form of an unsung hero.
As Eleanor Roosevelt said, “Behind every powerful leader is a powerful wife,” but what I, Wendy Phung believe, is that with every groundbreaking, life changing, revolutionising choice a leader makes, there is a PR guru whispering in his ear.

1 comment:

  1. Love you writing, thinking and style. You'll do very well in this industry, and thank you

    ReplyDelete